|Posted by HR&T Kyle on November 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM||comments (0)|
As we reach the crucial 20 game mark, NHL teams around the league are looking to shake things up in order to survive the season!
- The Dallas Stars' Vernon Fiddler has asked for a trade because he's unhappy with his role on the team! Dallas has several trade partners that are interested but want a decent return.
- The Nashville Predators are in heavy talks with the Anaheim Ducks about G Jonas Hiller as they suffer with Pekka Rinne out. If the timetable for Rinne's return is longer than expected it's believed that the Preds will pull the trigger on a trade!
- The Philadelphia Flyers are “vigorously shopping” Dmen Luke Schenn & Andrej Meszaros.
- The Edmonton Oilers are negotiating hard with the Philadelphia Flyers to acquire Wayne Simmonds and are offering Ales Hemsky but the Flyers want Jordan Eberle. Both sides want a shakeup but each want the better deal!
- The Edmonton Oilers will not be trading Nail Yakupov but cannot give him more ice time until they trade Ales Hemsky. Once Hemsky is traded and Yakupov is more well rounded, he will be given a more predominant role.
- Oilers Ilya Bryzgalov is expected to make his NHL return on Friday against the San Jose Sharks.
- The Florida Panthers fired coach Kevin Dineen and given GM Dale Tallon the nod to shake things up as new owner Vincent Viola demands success. Tallon is open to moving anyone on the roster not named Goc, Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Barkov or Gudbranson!
- The Toronto Maple Leafs are very close to moving JM Liles to the Carolina Hurricanes and they are interested in making other moves.
- The Calgary Flames are believed to be looking to make other moves and could move pending UFA Matt Stajan while GMs around the league are keeping tabs on Mike Cammalleri.
- The Winnipeg Jets have been fielding calls about Evander Kane and could pull a trade if the team continues to fall out of the division race.
- The Buffalo Sabres fired GM Darcy Regier and coach Ron Rolston today, then hired Pat LaFontaine as President of Hockey Ops to run the hockey department and named Ted Nolan as head coach. LaFontaine is on the search for a GM but says he already has a short list.
- The Detroit Red Wings will need to make a couple of moves to accommodate the return of D Jonathan Ericsson (Friday) & Brendan Smith (weekend) due to a tight salary cap that is already keeping them from recalling Gustav Nyquist from the AHL. It's likely that Jordin Tootoo, who has already cleared waivers, will be assigned to Grand Rapids and Patrick Eaves could be the next player on the roster to be waived.
- The Ottawa Senators are carrying eight defenseman and could look at making a trade as Joe Corvo continues to sit regulary and alternate Patrick Wiercioch and Eric Gryba as healthy scratches.
- Contract talks have started between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Dion Phaneuf. The term being discussed is 7 years for $45.5M - $50M.
- Contract talks have started between the Montreal Canadiens and PK Subban & Rafael Diaz. The term being discussed for Subban is 7 years for $45.5M - $50M.
- Colorado Avalanche great Milan Hejduk is set to officially announce his retirement soon.
- Colorado Avalanche G Semyon Varlamov's hearing has been set for December 2nd. Varlamov, who's out on bond, can continue to travel with his team until he has to face the domestic assault charges.
|Posted by HR&T Kyle on October 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM||comments (0)|
We are only a few games into the 2013-14 NHL season but the trade market is very alive!
- The Toronto Maple Leafs have been having preliminary conversations with NHL teams around the league involving D Jake Gardiner, who coach Randy Carlyle has not been impressed with thus far this season after he has returned to last year`s pre-playoff form. It`s believed that if the Leafs do decide to pull the trigger on a Gardiner trade, it's going to be for a young asset(s) and if teams like the Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, Anaheim Ducks or Minnesota Wild are interested, we could see a trade! Meanwhile the Leafs have been searching for a stay-at-hom Dman and will look to acquire one mid to late season when the playoff picture is figured out.
- The Anaheim Ducks are on the hunt for a defenseman and have been in talks with the Pittsburgh Penguins, Toronto Maple Leafs & Philadelphia Flyers among others. It's believed that Anaheim would be willing to part with a young forward in order to acquire help on the back end. Among names the Ducks have interest in are the Penguins' Matt Niskanen, Flyers' Andrej Meszaros & Toronto's John-Michael Liles! Liles was available on the waiver wire but has become more apealing now that the Leafs could retain part of his $3.875M cap hit in a trade.
- Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren proved once again that he's not a patient GM and likes making big moves with the firing of Head Coach Peter Laviolette. So it shouldn't be a surprise that he is already sniffing around the trade market to find some offensive help with the team going 0-3 to start the year. It's believed that the Flyers are now targeting the Calgary Flames' Curtis Glencross, sending assistant GM Ron Hextall and director of scouting Chris Pryor to Calgary's first game in Washington and then Head pro scout Dave Brown to Columbus for Calgary's matchup the following night. Meanwhile, the Flames are desperate for a Dman to play with Mark Giordano and the Flyers have an excessive amount with 8 on their roster and Bruno Gervais being sent to the AHL. It's been long believed that Holmgren is interested in trading Andrej Meszaros and even Braydon Coburn, maybe Calgary could be that destination.
- The Nashville Predators are shopping for offensive help and if the club continues to struggle throughout the month, GM David Poile could pull the trigger on a big trade. It`s believed that the Predators have been sniffing around the Colorado Avalanche in regards to Paul Stastny, who is believed to be the odd man out at centre with Matt Duchene under a long-term contract & the blossoming of Nathan MacKinnon. The Predators are pretty solid on the back end and could draw from their blueline depth in order to make a trade. Meanwhile, with the Anaheim Ducks on the hunt for a defenseman and if they are willing to wait for the Preds, they could be the perfect trading partner.
- Looks like the Calgary Flames new 3rd jerseys have been leaked via a cracked locked jersey on NHL14! Look for the 3rd to release around Thanksgiving!
|Posted by HR&T Kyle on August 30, 2013 at 1:55 AM||comments (0)|
Boom! The NHL trade & Free Agency market is heating up as we get closer to the season! With the addition of depth charts for every team under the Everything NHL tab, be sure to check out the depth charts for every team as you read through the rumor mill!
- Trade talks between the Buffalo Sabres and Colorado Avalanche are heating up! It`s been believed for some time that Buffalo was looking to move unhappy G Ryan Miller before he becomes a UFA this summer while struggling Paul Stastny finds himself as the odd man out(addition of Mackinnon & resigning of O`Reilly) in Colorado. It appears that the two teams have been having serious talks about swapping the two who could benefit from a change of scenery. There has also been talk of other players being added to the deal with Sabres`Thomas Vanek and Avalanche`s G Semyon Varlamov being tossed around.
- Michael Cammalleri`s name has been coming up a whole lot more lately as the Calgary Flames contnue to shop him with a full commitment to a rebuild.
- The Detroit Red Wings, among other teams, have been talking to the Pheonix Coyotes about Keith Yandle again however the asking price remains high. The Coyotes are believed to have asked for a package including Gustav Nyquist, which the Wings declined.
- Contract talks between the New York Rangers and RFA Derek Stepan have been making progress lately and Stepan expects to re-sign before training camp.
- RFA Alex Pietrangelo expects to be at the St. Louis Blues`training camp as he is confident that both sides will get something done soon and has no plans of holding out.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs and Nazem Kadri are still far apart on a new contract, however Kadri has been told to stop talking to media in order to focus in on re-signing. The Leafs are offering a bridge contract of 2 years at $3M per season while Kadri's agent is reportedly asking for atleast $5M per season. They also want to re-sign Cody Franson who is commanding a decent raise as well despite only having $5M in salary cap space! It`s looking more and more like the Leafs will have to trade Franson`s rights in order to re-sign Kadri and stay cap compliant.
- Detroit Red Wings UFA Damien Brunner has turned down a new offer from Detroit but is expected to sign with a NHL team this week. It`s been widely believed that the New Jersey Devils are among the front runners for Brunner with their new found cap space & ownership. The Calgary Flames and Phoenix Coyotes are also believed to be very interested and have increased their offers.
- New York Islanders UFA Brad Boyes is expected to sign shortly after Brunner is off the market as teams who lose out on him look to Boyes as a cheap alternative. Currently it`s believed that the Edmonton Oilers & Carolina Hurricanes have the biggest offers on the table. It will likely come down to who is more desperate fo his services once Brunner signs.
- Teemu Selanne will re-sign a 1 year contract for the 2013-14 season with the Anaheim Ducks. Update: Selanne has signed a 1 year contract extension with the Ducks worth $2M.
- It`s believed that the Philadelphia Flyers and UFA Simon Gagne have come to terms alhough the Flyers would like to clear cap space before signing off on the deal.
- Detroit Red Wings UFA Danny Cleary is still hoping to re-sign in Detroit but says he has options otherwise. It`s believed that the Edmonton Oilers are really hoping on landing Cleary from the Wings, while the Pittsburgh Penguins and Dallas Stars also remain interested.
- The Montreal Canadiens and Carolina Hurricanes have shown the most interest in Pittsburgh Penguins UFA & former Stars captain Brenden Morrow and plan on at least inviting him to training camp. Meanwhile the Edmonton Oilers have also been in touch with Morrow, but are waiting for other cards to fall before making any type of offer.
- Winnipeg Jets UFA Ron Hainsey is expected to sign a 1 year contract very soon although it`s expected to be cheaper than he had hoped. The Carolina Hurricanes, Colorado Avalanche and Columbus Blue Jackets have all shown interest in what could be the best Dman remaining on the market.
- The Boston Bruins are believed to be close to signing G Jose Theodore as a backup although the two sides are still a little apart on money.
- The Nashville Predators are on the hunt for a goaltender with news that Pekka Rinne will miss the start of the season. Many have suggested that New York Islanders UFA G Tim Thomas could fill the spot nicely as he continues to search for work. Former Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov is also in need of a job(although he`s been offered one in the KHL) as he continues to workout with elite goalie coaches in order to attain another NHL job. Meanwhile New Jersey Devils UFA Johan Hedberg and Tampa Bay Lightning UFA Mathieu Garon remain other options.
- The Carolina Hurricanes have also shown interest in Edmonton Oilers UFA Ryan Whitney in case they lose out on Hainsey while the Edmonton Oilers have been looking at Minnesota Wild UFA Tom Gilbert. Meanwhile Florida Panthers UFA Filip Kuba and Detroit Red Wings UFA`s Carlo Colaiacovo & Ian White remain alternative options as well.
- Vancouver Canucks UFA Mason Raymond & Florida Panthers UFA Peter Mueller has been receiving interest from the New Jersey Devils & Calgary Flames among others although no offers seem to be on the table. Both are expected to attend a NHL training camp in order to earn a job.
- Montreal Canadiens UFA Tomas Kaberle is on the verge of signing with Dinamo Minsk of the KHL.
- Columbus Blue Jackets UFA Vinny Prospal is still hoping for a contract extension from new GM Jarmo Kekalainen but the 38 year old may have to fight for a job elsewhere in training camp.
- Boston Bruins UFA Wade Redden is hoping for a contract extension from Boston but if not may have to hope on receiving a camp invite somewhere else.
- The Ottawa Senators will not be re-signing UFA Guillaume Latendresse, but he has turned down European contract offers with hopes of a NHL contract.
- The Colorado Avalanche will not be re-signing UFA Milan Hejduk, however he is not quite ready to retire and is hoping he can sign a contract elsewhere.
|Posted by HR&T Kyle on July 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM||comments (0)|
- The NHL has resolved all major issues with sendng NHL players to the 2014 Sochi Olympics. The NHLPA & IIHF will discuss today's points with their members this week & a official deal is expected in 1-2 weeks
- Tim Thomas is trying to return to the NHL and has asked his agent to explore possible opportunities in the NHL.
- Vincent Lecavalier met with the Leafs, Bruins, RedWings, Flames, Canadiens, Flyers, Blues, Capitals, Panthers & Stars this weekend. He's expected to narrow the list to 2-3 teams this week before making his decision.
- The Washington Capitals will not be re-signing Mike Ribeiro and he will become a UFA on July 5th. Ribeiro will be one of the most sought after free agents along with Vincent Lecavalier & Daniel Briere!
- Expectation is that the Daniel Briere shortlist will be down to 4-5 teams by Tuesday. 15 teams called.
- The Buffalo Sabres remain intent on moving Ryan Miller. However it's uncertain if it happens this summer or at the trade deadline next season.
- The New York Islanders are planning on using one of their compliance buyouts on goaltender Rick Dipietro.
- The Vancouver Canucks placed Keith Ballard on waivers although it is not $100 unconditional waivers, which is necessary for buyout purposes.
- The decision not to buyout Brad Richards means the New York Rangers can’t really afford Ryane Clowe and have been shopping his rights.
- The San Jose Sharks are Shopping F TJ Galiardi as they acquired Tyler Kennedy from the Pittsburgh Penguins yesterday .
- The Florida Panthers are shopping goaltender Scott Clemmensen and will not be re-signing G Jose Theodore & F Stephen Weiss.
- The Chicago Blackhawks will talk with Ray Emery this week, although a new contract is not expected due to the team trying to lower their salary. The Philadelphia Flyers and Edmonton Oilers will be very interested in Emery if he gets to July 5th.
- The New Jersey Devils made a contract offer to David Clarkson but it did not result in a deal before his contract expired therefore Clarkson will likely become a UFA on Friday but can field offers as early as Wednesday.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins will likely let Pascal Dupuis go to free agency. They could also move James Neal, who has been getting alot of interest from the Ottawa Senators. Meanwhile the Edmonton Oilers called the Pittsburgh Penguins to see if they were interested in trading goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury and the sense is that he isn’t going anywhere.
- In a attempt to keep Nathan Horton, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli sniffed around to see what Tyler Seguin might bring back. Chiarelli was caught off guard when Horton said he would test the free agent market. 15 teams called the Bruins about Seguin. Trade talks died after Horton said he was moving on.
- Talks between the Philadelphia Flyers & Edmonton Oilers continue as The Oilers badly want D Braydon Coburn and are offering Magnus Paajarvi in return, although it doesn't seem like enough to complete the trade.
|Posted by HR&T Kyle on June 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM||comments (0)|
With the trading season already upon us and Free Agent Frenzy + Compliance Buyouts rapidly approacing, HR&T examines the Rumor Mill at this time during the Stnaley Cup Final!
- Tampa Bay Lightning set to buyout Vincent Lecavalier or Ryan Malone or both
- Philadelphia Flyers set to buyout Daniel Briere and possibly Ilya Bryzgalov
if they can acquire another goalie via trade. The Flyers are among clubs
interested in the LA Kings' G Jonathan Bernier.
- Flyers, have been talking to the Anaheim Ducks about acquiring Bobby Ryan. It's said that Braydon Coburn or Matt Read + the 11th overall Draft pick for Ryan has been one possible scenario discussed
- The Pittsburgh Penguins are having a hard time trying to sign Kris Letang and could trade him for a package similar to the one he got for Jordan Staal. It's also believed that Pascal Depuis will be re-signed while Matt Cooke will not.
- The Florida Panthers are receiving a lot of interest in Center Stephen Weiss coming from mostly the New Jersey Devils, Dallas Stars,Toronto Maple Leafs & Detroit Red Wings.
- The Dallas Stars, LA Kings & Phoenix Coyotes are all interested in the services of Jarome Iginla.
- The LA Kings are receiving a lot of interest in goaltender Jonathan Bernier especially from the Philadelphia Flyers, Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Islanders, Minnesota Wild, Florida Panthers & New Jersey Devils
- The Nashville Predators are in the market for a young backup goalie in this year's Free Agency rather than committing to Chris Mason.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
|Posted by HR&T Kyle on April 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM||comments (0)|
2013 NHL Trade Deadline wrap-up!:
- The New York Rangers have traded Marian Gaborik, Steven Delisle & Blake Partlet to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Derek Brassard, Derek Dorset, John Moore and a 2014 6th round pick
- The Buffalo Sabres have traded Jason Pominville and a 2014 4th round pick to the Minnesota Wild for G Matt Hackett, prospect Johan Larsson, 2013 1st round pick and a 2014 2nd round pick
- The Tampa Bay Lightning have traded Cory Conacher and a 2013 4th round pick to the Ottawa Senators for G Ben Bishop
- The Washington Capitals have traded their 1st round pick in 2012, Filip Forsberg to Nashville for Martin Erat and Michael Latta
- The Phoenix Coyotes have traded Raffi Torres to the San Jose Sharks for a 2013 3rd round pick
- The Philadelphia Flyers have traded G Michael Leighton and a 2015 3rd round pick to the Columbus Blue Jackets for G Steve Mason
- The Phoenix Coyotes have traded Matthew Lombardi to the Anaheim Ducks for Brandon McMillan
- The Calgary Flames have traded Blake Comeau to the Columbus Blue Jackets for a 2013 5th round pick
- The Carolina Hurricanes have traded Jussi Jokinen to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a conditional 7th round draft pick. Carolina will hold on to some of Jokinen's salary. If Jokinen plays 50% of Pittsburgh's playoff games AND they win the Stanley Cup, the 7th turns into a 6th.
- The Colorado Avalanche have traded Ryan O'Byrne to the Toronto Maple Leafs for a 2014 4th round pick.
- The Florida Panthers have traded Jerred Smithson to the Edmonton Oilers for a 2013 4th round pick
- The Phoenix Coyotes have traded Steve Sullivan to the New Jersey Devils for a 7th round pick.
- The Nashville Predators have traded Scott Hannan to the San Jose Sharks for a conditional 2013 7th round pick. If Hannan sees playoff action, the 7th becomes a 6th.
- The Boston Bruins have traded Maxime Sauve to the Chicago Blackhawks for Rob Flick.
- The Anaheim Ducks have traded G Jeff Deslauriers to the Minnesota Wild for Future Considerations
- The Pittsburgh Penguins have traded Patrick Kileen to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Future Considerations
- The San Jose Sharks have re-signed D Matt Irwin to a 2 year contract worth $2M.
- The Philadelphia Flyers have claimed Adam Hall off of waivers from the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- The Winnipeg Jets have claimed Mike Santorelli off of waivers from the Florida Panthers
- The Montreal Canadiens have signed Danny Kristo to a 2-year contract!
- The Nashville Predators have signed Zach Budish to a 2 year entry-level contract.
- The St. Louis Blues have signed Dmitrij Jaskin to a 3 year entry-level contract.
- The New York Islanders have signed Andrey Pedan to a 3 year entry-level contract.
- The Carolina Hurricanes have signed Brock McGinn to a 3 year entry-level contract.
- The Detroit Red Wings have signed G Jared Coreau to a 3 year entry-level contract.
- The Florida Panthers have signed Jonathan Racine & Nick Bjugstad to entry-level contracts.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed Andrew Macwilliam to an entry-level contract.
|Posted by HR&T Kyle on April 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM||comments (0)|
The NHL Trade Deadline is less than 15 hours away (3PM ET), who will be traded?! Follow us on twitter: @HockeyRandT and LIKE us on facebook.com/HockeyRandT for the latest!
- G Ben Bishop(OTT)
- G Jonathan Bernier(LAK)
- G Roberto Luongo(VAN)
- G Miikka Kippersoff(CGY)
- D Mark Streit(NYI)
- D Ryan Whitney(EDM)
- D Filip Kuba(FLA)
- D Jamie McBain(CAR)
- D Mark Giordano(CGY)
- D Adrian Aucoin(CBJ)
- F Marian Gaborik(NYR)
- F Jason Pominville(BUF)
- F Mike Ribeiro(WSH)
- F Raffi Torres(PHX)
- F Tomas Fleishman(FLA)
- F Clarke MacArthur(TOR)
- F Ales Hemsky(EDM)
- F Mason Raymond(VAN)
- F Jussi Jokinen(CAR)
- F Ryan Jones(EDM)
- F Lee Stempniak(CGY)
- F Boyd Gordon(PHX)
- F Eric Nystrom(DAL)
- F Brad Boyes(NYI)
|Posted by HR&T Kyle on April 2, 2013 at 10:15 PM||comments (0)|
The 2013 NHL Trade Deadline Eve wrap-up!:
- The Dallas Stars have traded Jaromir Jagr to the Boston Bruins for a 2013 2nd round draft pick(1st if Bruins win 2 playoff rounds), Lane MacDermid and Cody Payne
- The San Jose Sharks have traded Ryane Clowe to the New York Rangers for a 2013 2nd round pick, Florida's 2013 3rd and a conditional 2014 2nd pick (becomes a 5th if Clowe doesn't re-sign or Rangers dont win 2 playoff series)
- The Dallas Stars have traded C Derek Roy to the Vancouver Canucks for Kevin Connauton and a 2013 2nd round pick
- The Dallas Stars have traded Tomas Vincour to the Colorado Avalanche for Cameron Gaunce.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning have traded Marc-Andre Bergeron to the Carolina Hurricanes for Adam Hall and a 2013 7th-round pick.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning have traded Kirill Gotovets to the Chicago Blackhawks for Phillipe Paradis
- The LA Kings have traded Davis Drewiske to the Montreal Canadiens for a 2013 5th round draft. The 5th round draft pick was originally the Kings pick
- The Edmonton Oilers have traded Dane Byers to the Washington Capitals for Garrett Stafford.
- The Vancouver Canucks have re-signed Chris Higgins to a 4 year contract extension worth $10M or $2.5M per year. The deal comes with a limited no-trade clause.
- The Columbus Blue Jackets have re-signed Mark Letestu to a 2 year contract extension worth $2.5M or $1.25M per season.
- The Washington Capitals have re-signed D Jack Hillen to a 2 year contract extension worth $1.4M or $700K per season.
- The Winnipeg Jets have signed Jacob Trouba to a entry-level contract.
- The Minnesota Wild have signed Tyler Graovac to a 3 year entry-level contract.
- The Washington Capitals have signed Nate Schmidt to a 2 year entry-level contract.
- The San Jose Sharks have signed sign C Chris Tierney to a 3 year entry-level contract. Tierney is currently playing in the OHL Playoffs Semi-Finals with the London Knights. The Sharks have also signed RW Christopher Crane & LW Matt Nieto to entry-level contracts and RW Daniil Tarasov to a 2 year contract.
|Posted by HR&T Kyle on February 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM||comments (0)|
HR&T Rumor MILL
The first enstallment of HR&T Rumor Mill will be a large one as we gather a lot of information together for you to read all in one place! The hot topic of the week features RFA Ryan O’Reilly at the end of this blog with a lot of new information!
- Former Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, who is still working with the team as an advisor, is believed to be on the hunt for a “bridge” roll that would one day lead him back as a GM of a NHL club. It has been confirmed that at least 1 team has asked the Leafs’ organization for permission to talk with Burke about a non-GM opportunity. UPDATE: Brian Burke has been hired by the Anaheim Ducks as a part-time pro scout, which will allow him to stay in Toronto with his wife.
- The Boston Bruins are in need of a 3rd line LW and it is believed that they are looking into the return of current Dallas Star Michael Ryder.
- The Bruins are also believed to be interested in acquiring a big fish like Daniel Alfredsson or Jarome Iginla. If the Ottawa Senators or Calgary Flames fall out of the playoff race and Alfie or Iggie were to become available, expect the Bruins to be one of the biggest contenders along with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli will be in Washington today(Feb 22) for the Washington Capitals - New Jersey Devils game. It will be the second time in a month that Chiarelli has personally watched Devils' players as he was also in the press box for the Flyers-Devils game on January 22. It is also the second time that Chiarelli has scouted Philadelphia Flyers' players as he spent the entire 2nd intermission of the Pittsburgh Penguins- Flyers game on February 20 with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren talking trade. With $5M saved on their cap hit in the Tim Thomas trade to the New York Islanders and if they place Marc Savard on Long Term Injury Reserve, they will have about $11M in cap space., you can be sure that a trade is inbound.
- The Buffalo Sabres have placed Cody McCormick on waivers today, after failing to trade him over the last few days. The Sabres also fired head coach Lindy Ruff after 15+ years of service. Could more changes be on the horizon?
- The Calgary Flames have been heavily shopping Jay Bouwmeester, but his $6.8M salary is a big concern for teams interested.
- Jarome Iginla's name seems to always finds itself in Calgary Flames rumors. If the Flames fall out of the playoff race and Iggie were to become available, expect the Boston Bruins to be one of the biggest contenders.
- The Colorado Avalanche's Shane O’Brien is believed to be on the trade block. Make sure you check out the Hot Topic of the Week featuring RFA Ryan O’Reilly who is definitely on his way out via trade or offer sheet.
- The Detroit Red Wings, with all their recent injuries, have been looking for some secondary scoring help and a shutdown defenseman for the past couple weeks. GM Ken Holland on acquiring a defenceman: "You'd love to have one more top-4 defenceman. No one's giving those guys away." One name that has come in rumblings has been the Toronto Maple Leafs’ John-Michael Liles, despite him recently signing a 4 year extension.
- The Edmonton Oilers are said to be looking for help in net while the Ottawa Senators need help on D with Erik Karlsson out for most, if not all of the season. The teams are said to be discussing a Ryan Whitney & Ben Bishop swap that could include extra pieces. Bishop is also believed to be available for a 2nd round pick.
- The Florida Panthers are off to a slow start this season and if they fall out of the playoff race, players could be available from them, most notably Stephen Weiss. It is believed that GM Dale Tallon could wait as little as 5 or 6 games before he starts making moves!
- The Panthers are also believed to be interested in toughening up their roster as several roster players are of the lineup due to unnecessary hits from opponents.
- The New Jersey Devils have attracted a lot of interest from Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli of late. He will be in Washington today(Feb 22) for the Washington Capitals - Devils game. It will be the second time in a month that Chiarelli has personally watched Devils' players as he was also in the press box for the Philadelphia Flyers-Devils game on January 22.
- The New York Islanders have been shopping Marty Reasoner around as of late but despite their efforts, there hasn’t been any takers yet.
- The Islanders are also believed to be willing to trade Mark Streit and Lubomir Visnovsky near the trade deadline, if they are out of the playoff race by then. It is believed that Mark Streit is seeking 3 years at $10M on his next deal.
- The Ottawa Senators’ GM Bryan Murray is looking to land a decent defenseman and would consider moving a late round pick. The Senators have already spoken to the Tampa Bay Lightning about Marc-Andre Bergeron and are believed to be interested in Mike Komisarek(Toronto), Tomas Kaberle (Montreal) ,Roman Hamrlik (Washington), and Jonathon Blum (Nashville).
- Ben Bishop is believed to be available for a 2nd round pick.The Senators are said to be discussing a Ryan Whitney & Ben Bishop swap that could include extra pieces with the Edmonton Oilers.
- Daniel Alfredsson's name seems to always finds itself in Ottawa Senators rumors. If the Senators fall out of the playoff race and Alfie were to become available, expect the Boston Bruins & Pittsburgh Penguins to be the biggest contenders.
- The Philadelphia Flyers and St. Louis Blues have been scouting each other recently and are believed to be in discussions about swapping a defenceman for a scorer.
- Flyers GM Paul Holmgren and Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli talked trade for the entire 2nd intermission of the Penguins- Flyers game on February 20. It's the second time in a month that Chiarelli has personally watched Flyers' players as he was also in the press box for the Flyers-Devils game on January 22.
- Pittsburgh Penguins GM Ray Shero has confirmed that he was indeed scouting Minnesota Wild players at the Wild-Avalanche game last week. It is believed that he interested in Matt Cullen, Devin Setoguchi and Pierre-Marc .Bouchard.
- The Penguins are also believed to be interested in Daniel Alfredsson. That is if the Ottawa Senators fall out of the playoff race and Alfie were to become available.
- The San Jose Sharks may be interested in trading some big names if they fall out of the playoffs race. Dan Boyle's name has been heavily used in such discussions and if the offer was right, even Joe Thornton could move out East.
- Toronto Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has admitted that the club is still looking to acquire an experienced goalie, despite getting adequate performances from their current goaltending.
- Leafs GM Dave Nonis has also admitted that a number of teams have called to inquire about Tim Connolly, who is playing in the AHL after clearing waivers last month, and says that Connolly "will be back in the NHL with the Leafs or some other team by the end of the season."
- Looks like John Micheal Liles or Carl Gunnarson may be the odd men out on the Leafs log jammed blueline.
- Washington Capitals GM George McPhee is trying to add immediate help to his club and is believed to even be willing to trade prospects Filip Forsberg and Evgeny Kuznetsov.
- The Winnipeg Jets have announced that Zach Redmond's season is done and with injuries to Enstrom(shoulder), Meech plus injuries on the IceCaps(AHL) blueline as well, this may be the time that the Jets try to acquire a NHL-ready defenseman.
HOT TOPIC OF THE WEEK:
Colorado Avalanche RFA Ryan O’Reilly
Who’s interested in a young top-6, two-way center who led his team in scoring last season? Not the Colorado Avalanche, well not for $5M a season for the next 5 years as Ryan O’Reilly has demanded. O’Reilly is definitely on his way out of Denver whether it be via trade or offer sheet. The most likely scenario is a trade, which would see O’Reilly heading to the Eastern Conference. The Avalanche set their initial return price for Ryan O’Reilly at a roster player and top prospect which has since developed into a offensive defenceman or a proven forward plus a pick or a top prospect for O'Reilly. While the Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, Philadelphia Flyers and New York Rangers have already discussed some scenarios with the Avalanche, many others are interested as well. These teams include the Boston Bruins, Buffalo Sabres, Florida Panthers, Pittsburgh Penguins and San Jose Sharks. Currently the asking price from Colorado Avalanche GM Greg Sherman is significantly high, as Senators GM Bryan Murray indicated, and teams are not interested in giving up a lot at this point while the standings remain so close. In discussions about O’Reilly, the Avs have demanded Michael Del Zotto + a prospect(Chris Kreider or J.T. Miller) from the Rangers and Sean Couturier+ from the Flyers. Meanwhile, if the Leafs are serious about him, as it is believed they are, they would have to give up something like Gardiner/Frattin/Kadri plus a high pick or a former 1st rounder like Stuart Percy.